Individuals and Families
You live, study, play, and work here. You know your neighborhood and our community in detail. We can help support your giving in a variety of ways.
People from across the county who love Lancaster, just like you, have partnered with the Community Foundation to help inform and amplify their giving. Our team can help you start giving through setting up a fund now, assist with longer-term planning of leaving a gift for the community through your estate, and offer local expertise on giving opportunities.
There is no startup cost to creating a fund or leaving a gift at the Community Foundation. We have a transparent fee structure collected off the balance of your fund that varies slightly based on the type of fund you choose. This fee is used to cover our staff’s work as well as support the wider work of the Community Foundation through grants and programs.
Your fund can be endowed, so that it grows sustainably over time to give out grants each year; or, it can be set up as a shorter-term fund.
We have many flexible options for what kind of fund you can create, depending on your area of interest and timing. Some individuals and families have worked with the Community Foundation instead of starting a private foundation – our team handles the administrative and IRS regulations, so that you can just focus on giving.
Planning your giving
- Now: Would you like to start your fund now, with a minimum gift of $10,000 to begin giving out grants?
- Near-term: Would you like to open your fund now and build it up over time to at least $10,000?
- Later: Would you like to leave a gift through your will or estate plan that creates or increases your fund? You can fill out a letter of intent and send it to Ashlinn Masland Sarani so we can learn more about your charitable goals.
- Would you like your fund to give to a specific or a few specific 501c3 community benefit organizations? Learn more about designated funds and charitable gift annuities.
- Would you like your fund to give to a broader focus area, such as reducing income inequality or preserving farmland? Learn more about field of interest funds.
- Would you like you and/or your family to make decisions each year about where to direct your giving? Learn more about donor advised funds.
- Would you like your fund to benefit students at a specific school or for a specific field of post-secondary study? Learn more about scholarships.
- Would you like your fund to be flexibly used by the Community Foundation to meet emerging needs in the community? Learn more about the I Love Lancaster fund.
Gifts of cash, stock, IRA rollovers and distributions, life insurance, real estate, and more can be used to create and grow your fund. You and others can also donate online directly to your fund after it’s created. You can choose how you’d like your fund invested so that it grows sustainably over time.