Do you have a business idea that focuses on a triple bottom line: people, planet & profit? Learn more about being part of the Great Social Enterprise Pitch: Lancaster’s social enterprise idea incubator & business plan competition! The process culminates with a LIVE pitch for CASH and PRO-BONO SERVICES!
What is Social Enterprise?
A social enterprise is a market-based, income-generating enterprise which, through the business model and revenues, has a positive social and/or environmental impact.
What is the Great Social Enterprise Pitch?
The Pitch is a social enterprise idea incubator and business planning competition. As part of the competition, 10 ideas will be chosen to enter a series of workshops which will help develop and create a business plan for the ideas. Once the workshops are complete, participants conduct a crowdfunding campaign to raise awareness and funds for the launch of their enterprise. Finally, 5 participants will be chosen to participate in the Live Pitch, sharing their business plan to a panel of judges and the community. Winners will be chosen based on these presentations.
In the 2014 pitch, 220+ community members joined 5 judges to hear the live pitches and winners received nearly $40,000 in cash and pro-bono services.
How will the Social Enterprise ideas be chosen for the workshops?
Ideas will be ranked in response to the following criteria:
- Clarity on the social or environmental need to be addressed
- Potential impact the enterprise will have on that need
- Market demand for product or services being offered
- Financial sustainability or profitability of the enterprise
- Potential for scale
- Information Meeting– February 3, 6-7:30 PM at the Lancaster County Community Foundation. REGISTER HERE.
- Spark Sessions (optional) to brainstorm your idea and meet like-minded individuals- February 12 & 19, 6-8 PM at the Lancaster County Community Foundation.
- Application Deadline– March 9. Applications can be found at LancasterPitch.com. (Coming Soon)
- Idea Incubators (for 10 selected participants)- April 6 through July 6
- Crowdfunding (a great chance for the whole community to be involved!)- July 29 through August 19.
- Live Pitch (for 5 finalists)- September 25
In partnership with ASSETS Lancaster.
2014 Great Social Enterprise Pitch Results:
Congratulations to our 2014 Pitch Winners:
- First Place- The Common Wheel, a community bike center
- Second Place- Nomadic Animal Grazer (now called Solar Shepherd), a portable animal grazing system
- Third Place- Whimsy, an apparel company that empowers at-risk women.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /nfs/c10/h05/mnt/150089/domains/lancfound.org/html/wp-content/themes/lccf/_voting.php on line 111